Sunday, January 09, 2011

Debbie Friedman

I just read on Facebook and confirmed with an online Jewish newspaper that Debbie Friedman has passed away this afternoon. She was hospitalized for a few days with pneumonia. I always wanted to meet Debbie Friedman. My hope was to have her be invited by my congregation for a Friday night service. Debbie Friedman was the queen of Jewish music. My rabbi would often sing her songs or just reference her musical genius. Although I never met the musical genius, I admire her. First of all, I just had a very mild case of pneumonia, so I guess I could say I have a lot sympathy for what she must have gone through. Secondly, I am a musician. Only a special woman like Ms. Friedman could sing, compose, and play instruments as she could. Finally, Debbie Friedman revived synagogue service life. A conservative synagogue will sing the traditional melodies, but Friedman's tunes make Reform Jews smile. We will miss the Jewish Mozart that was Debbie Friedman. Like Mozart, she could write piece after piece and each would sound wonderful. Just like Mozart, she died way too soon for her time.

Debbie Friedman (1952-2011)
My favorite: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zp3-K16IkSc&feature=related

Sources
-JTA. "Debbie Friedman, Jewish Songwriter and Performer, Dies." Jewish Telegraphic Agency. Jewish Telegraphic Agency, 9 Jan. 2011. Web. 9 Jan. 2011. .

-"Debbie Friedman." Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia. Web. 09 Jan. 2011. .

2 comments:

  1. Adam -

    Thank you for being so thoughtful in your comments. I too was never blessed with having met Debbie yet I feel like I know her/knew her through Rabbi Milder's music and the music I play on the air.

    Jewish Mozart....mmmm. Debbie really put music to the 'still small voice' that we can hear...

    Mitch

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Adam. Your dad mentioned this blog post and your blog to me... I was in Hashomer Hatzair around the same time he was although I don't think we knew each other.

    This is a moving and completely on-target tribute to Debbie Friedman. I love where you call her the Mozart of Jewish music. Her music has made such a difference in the lives of so many people. For me, one of the lessons is that you don't need to be a celebrity or follow one of the traditional paths of "success" to deeply impact the world. With her voice and songwriting, she could have been a successful mainstream singer like a Taylor Swift, but she chose the pah that was authentic to herself -- a path within Jewish music -- and boy, did she make a difference.

    I'm really impressed with your blog! I have a Jewish-focused blog too, and will add you to my blogroll at http://midlifebatmitzvah.wordpress.com.

    Best wishes,
    Ilana DeBare
    Oakland, CA

    ReplyDelete