Saturday, January 10, 2009

My Interpretation of Genesis Va-yechi

Weekly Parsha Interpretation
January 10, 2009: Va’yechi 47:28-50:26
This week’s parsha to me says a very special message. This message tells me something about Judaism. To me Judaism means everything. In this part of the Torah to conclude Genesis Jacob unfortunately passes on. His sons aid him on his way out and it is obviously pointed out how important it was for Jacob to be buried in the land of Canaan in the Ephron of the Hittite with Judaism’s fathers Abraham and Isaac. Joseph however is buried in Egypt. I think this is a sign of the times ahead. The first era of Judaism has come to an end and no longer has Joseph passed on a passion like Jacob, Isaac, or Abraham. Due to this lack of passion Judaism and its people do not return to Canaan and are enforced into slavery in the land of Egypt.  If I was the fourteenth son of Jacob, I would live in his shoes long after his death, reminding my followers of how great it is to be a Jew.”   The thing I ask you about this Torah parsha, are you a fourteenth son of Jacob or a Joseph?

1 comment:

  1. Adam this is insightful and shows that you have given this thought. Being your parent, I am so proud that you have developed this passion to be Jewish! I too would like to be a fourteenth son of Jacob and I guess I am through you!!

    ReplyDelete