Friday, February 06, 2009

Beshalach Verses 13:17-17:16

Some people do not believe in God. I don't exactly get that. In this portion alone, God reveals himself time and time again. First of all, God frees the Israelites from the land of Egypt. Second, God splits the Red Sea so the Jews can go across the sea on dry land. Next, God closes the sea on Pharaoh's chariots, army, and horsemen. Then, God tells Moses to place a block of wood in the bitterest of bitter waters and it is as sweet as hard candy. After that, God makes bread rain from the sky. Finally, in a dire thirst God tells Moses to hit a rock and water springs out! If that's not proof I don't know what is.

Oh wait, I do! God shows himself all throughout history. I'll give you the easiest example. Ancient Civilizations! We can learn a lot from them. Mesopotamia was polytheistic and it doesn't exist. Israel- monotheistic, Jews exist. Egypt was polytheistic and its religion doesn't exist today. Israel-monotheistic, Jews exist. Greece was polytheistic and its religion is gone. Israel monotheistic, Jews exist. Rome originally was polytheistic and that religion has faded away. Israel-monotheistic, Jews exist. Notice a pattern. If that is still NOT enough, I have one more trick up my sleeve. In Ancient Egypt, a pharaoh of the name Akhnaten tried to change Egypt's religion to monotheism. To me, that is God trying to reach out to that civilization. To me when something good happens to me I thank God and if something bad happens I know God had that happen for a reason. Some people don't believe in God and I just don't get that.

No comments:

Post a Comment