Friday, August 28, 2009

Deuteronomy Ki Teitzei Verses 21:10 - 25:19

Ki Teitzei is not a portion of the Torah with a story, and characters. It has more of just the laws of the Torah. The laws mentioned in this part of the Torah are all about family and dealing with divorce or loss of a loved one. Appropriately I thought about the Kennedy's.

I look at the Kennedy's and I am amazed. They are the American version of the Royal Family. You are born a Kennedy and you are famous overnight. I would like to talk about a few Kennedy's and what they have done in this legendary American family.

It all goes back to Joseph P. Kennedy who never did much in politics. Joe was just a very rich man, but as a patriarch he had very good intentions for his family. Joe is responsible for making the Kennedy name. The ambitions he had for his family remind me of my papa. Ambitions for the next Graubart rabbi (probably me) and as the Kennedy's succeeded and pleased Joe, I hope to succeed and please, ,my papa, Daniel Graubart.

John Fitzgerald Kennedy and Robert Francis Kennedy were the young hopes. There are parts of the family that never got to do what they planned to. Always had good intentions, but could never finish because of a gun. JFK made it to office, but his presidency was cut short. Like his older brother Robert's career was brief. Other than the assassination, my sister and I remind me of Robert and John. Still fresh in the world, have not made their mark yet.

Then, there is Eunice Kennedy Shriver. She was not much in the political side of the Kennedy family, but made a difference in the world. Eunice founded the Special Olympics. She reminds me of my mom who do anything that is caring and nice.

Finally, Ted Kennedy was a fighting man in the Senate. He always stood up for what he believed in and now is cherished for it. Not even brain cancer could stop the drive this man had. Two people resemble Ted for me. My nana and my dad both fight for what they believe in and would do anything for the people they care about.

One generation of Kennedy's is almost gone. Time moves on though. Joe did not consider himself for greatness. He thought of Joe Jr., John, Kathleen, Eunice, Patricia, Robert, Jean, and Ted as his greatness. Just as Daniel and Annette Graubart are proud of Dina, Glen, Beth, Ron, Adam, Rachel, Emma, Ben, and Ruby. How does this all go back to Ki Teitzei? L'Dor V'Dor. From generation to generation.

1 comment:

  1. Adam - you should be proud of this particular blog. Mostly, because you came across a much more important goal in life - a sense of family. You way ahead of everyone in our family in understanding the true importance of L'Dor V'Dor!

    ReplyDelete