Friday, December 09, 2011

My Thoughts on the United States of America

As an American citizen, I am guaranteed the right to say whatever I want about the country. Ironically using this right, I decided to take this chance to criticize the United States a bit. In most public schools, students begin their day by listening to the national anthem and reciting the Pledge of Allegiance, but I decided to abstain from this practice as I entered high school. The decision was not well received from friends and family alike. The instant assumption was that I hate the United States, a very false sentiment. My grandparents found this appalling and wondered if I supported Al-Qaeda. I do not intend to send a message of hatred to my fellow Americans when I refuse to recite the pledge. The action is introspective, for I can not figure out how I quite feel about the United States of America and the pledge it encourages its schoolchildren to repeat daily. Like many other pledge critics, the statement "Under God" is most unappealing. While I believe in God, it directly contradicts how Americans assert their freedom of religion. Some people say this can not be changed because the pledge is old, but the US congress just reaffirmed that the motto of the country is "In God we trust". This further proves those who observe non-Abrahamic religions or no religion at all in this country are being deliberately ignored by the US government. I do not hate the United States, but I will accept that living here requires me to think of America as the world's superlative nation.

To appease those who are agitated by my unpatriotic attitude, we should begin to examine the positive attributes of American society. The foundations of the United States are not only incredible, but they created the infrastructure of modern democracy. Using the words of the Enlightenment philosophers, the founding fathers built a government for a country that essentially lets one be anyone they desire as long as they are not harming their fellow citizens. Pledge and motto aside, American freedom of religion and speech is incomparable anywhere else in the world. From a history of being a superpower, the United States is one of the world's most dominant and competitive nations. From such resonance in the world, the United States is probably the world's most assertive proponent toward a world of peace. The United Nations is headquartered in the United States, and the US Department of State is constantly making an effort to promote diplomacy in the world. For instance, presidents Clinton and Carter worked with great vigor to establish peace between Israel and its neighbors. The United States is a major trading power in the world, being what Penn Station is to commuting New Yorkers for all of the global economy. The United States is a hub of importing and exporting. Most of all, the Untied States grants its citizens the right to change what they feel is unjust in their society. If I want to protest the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, I maintain the right to assemble and attempt to change US policy. While there are things I should use this right to correct, I can not deny the United States fits the mold of potential greatness.

It is the atrocity of modern US politics that makes me disgraced to be a citizen of the United States of America. Although I was very young in 2003, I always remember thinking going to war in the Middle East was a bad idea. As a seven year old, I would ask my dad, "Why is the army in Iraq?". The new question I find myself asking is "Why are we not out of Iraq?" Other than being a tax on the US economy, the war is currently doing very little, for it is conclusive that the Iraqis are not hoarding weapons of mass destruction. If the United States need to fight any wars with foreign powers, I only hope that they are defensive unlike the situation in Iraq. After all, the governmental title of the military is the Department of Defense. While the United States is a leading constituent in the world of diplomacy, we are very violent. When I think of the Pledge of Allegiance, I think about how I would feel being drafted, a sign of uttermost loyalty to one's country. As such a feeling of fear comes with fighting for violent, unnecessary causes such as the war in Iraq, I doubt I would feel comfortable in performing mandated military service. I supported the troops because I know they are fighting to enable the exercise of the very freedom I am using to write this piece along with many other liberties. My disappointment in the United States Department of Defense stems from the reasoning of many wars the US fought in the 20th Century and the ones we are fighting now. In addition, my greatest shame in the country comes from watching the rise and fall of political campaigns every couple of years. In the age of the Internet, democracy is becoming a victim of its politicians transforming from intellectuals with practical ideas to "electable" celebrities. Both the Republican and Democratic Parties are guilty of producing candidates whose ideals are overshadowed by what suit tie they choose to wear or where they buy their groceries. The media is partly to blame, but all US citizens are equally responsible for supporting such ridiculousness. Politicians should be looking to the future of the country. It seems nominees from both parties are doing whatever they can to obtain office. Instead of making empty promises, the politicians of the United States should put their Ivy League law degrees to work. They should come up with ideas instead of diminishing their colleagues. Until practical democracy is fully restored in this nation, I can not pledge allegiance to it with a full hear and spirit.

As I said, not saying the pledge separates me from my peers. For anyone who thinks I am a terrorist against the United States or would prefer to live in Canada, I would like to say that is false. It is my wish that we could join together and fix this great country that is currently fractured. It will take elbow grease, but perhaps I will begin to say the Pledge of Allegiance again. My Pledge of Allegiance will be to the creation of a United States and world that is teeming with greatness.

No comments:

Post a Comment