Friday, April 20, 2012

Why Keep Kosher?

Many Jews revere the Torah's dietary laws as a sacred tradition, even as modern times create a more difficult atmosphere to keep Kosher. The weekly portion, Shemini, begins with an argument between Moses and Aaron over sacrificial ritual. God quickly establishes peace among the brothers, and Moses begins to receive the Kashrut, the Jewish dietary customs. God classifies certain animals as clean and others as an abomination. To the uninformed mind, the taxonomy appears random, but the Torah distinguishes a particular system with each animal in a possible diet. By land, an animal needs to chew its own cud and possess splits hooves. The former describes a particular way an animal eats their food, and the latter focuses on the feet of an animal. The majority of farm animals fit these Kosher characteristics. Pork and other pig products remain the most common example of mammal traife, non-Kosher food. Kosher fish include any scale and fin bearing creatures, like salmon and tuna. Crustaceans top the list of marine traife, prohibiting Jews from eating lobster, shrimp, and clams. No guidelines exist for birds, but the Torah lists the names of unacceptable birds, such as owls, hawks, and ostriches. With one exception, God finally decrees all insects traife. Insects with jointed legs, mostly crickets and grasshoppers, are the only acceptable six-legged critters in the Jewish diet. Most Reform Jews stopped following these laws in the creation of their movement, but Orthodox and Conservative Jews continue these practices. According to the Torah, one who breaks this law remains unclean until evening. Unlike other laws, the severity of the consequence seems weak in comparison to that of a stoning or execution. These laws complicate life every day, but lack reason in the Torah. Traditional rabbis saw this as a health concern to the Jewish people. Swine often carried more diseases than other farm animals. Deeming them sacrilegious supposedly helped ancient Jews' livelihood, yet modern science disproved this theory not so long ago. Other ancient rabbis payed special attention to which animals God decides to exclude. Pigs bathe in their own filth, and crustaceans consume whatever scraps they find. The olden thinkers thought God found these lowly beings unfit for humans. Most people eat three times a day, so keeping Kosher serves as a mechanism to force Jews into thinking about God. When thinking about a place to host a business lunch, the Jews need to consult the Torah. The consistency of eating reveals the holiness in every moment on Earth. For those who discount the existence of God, keeping Kosher provides a more universal lesson. Abstaining from certain foods, no matter how delectable, requires a great degree of discipline. Workers and friends alike desire such control. By eating only certain foods, we learn how to tame other inhibitions, such as lust, jealous, and anger. God specifies how to eat, but the portion requires a better explanation for keeping this custom. Like many parts of the Torah, these chapters demand personal interpretation. I started keeping Kosher around eight years old. It started because I simultaneously the perks of a career as a rabbi and my dislike of shrimp. After eight years of devouring crustacean and porks delicacies, I knew I needed to progressively eliminate my traife intake, rather than following all the Kashrut at once. Following these laws serves a dual purpose for me. When I smell bacon and ignore my inner temptations to forget the Torah, I immediately feel more connected to God. On Yom Kippur, God theoretically weighs a person's sins against their good deeds, and observing the Kashrut provides an easy way to tip this scale. Secondly, keeping Kosher teaches me how to calm myself and learn how to refuse certain foods. Yesterday, I tried to run with a stomach full of donuts, but I certainly felt the importance of a balanced diet as an athlete. When I learn how to ignore the deliciousness of lobster, I also teach myself how to reject a second helping of ice cream. In addition, the Kashrut laid the foundation for my work ethic, one that allows me to excel in school and other aspects of my life. The exacting nature of God shown in this week's Torah portion shows how I need to complete the work I plan for myself when the day begins. While hearing the theme song to my favorite show in the family room, I intently concentrate on homework, comparing the television to traife. Keeping Kosher allows me to exert intense efforts when needed. For any one who keeps Kosher for Passover, I find the regular dietary guidelines much easier to follow. For those who feels they lack a deep connection to Judaism, I recommend keeping Kosher. Like any lifestyle choice, time and consistency makes the change easier. I no longer miss traife,for I see how greater a reward I reap from these laws. I see their greater purpose in changing my life, as a runner, a student, and a Jew.

No comments:

Post a Comment