Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Deuteronomy Devarim Verse 1:1-3:22

We are in a new book of the Torah, Deuteronomy. I have heard that it is a review and wrap-up of the Torah. We will see if that is true. This week however it was not. We are out of the desert! Finally. No more wandering. Last week, I talked about honesty and respect. This week I will focus on trust. Honesty and trust are like Batman and Robin. If one is missing, the other will not work on its own. Once the Israelites are finally out of the desert for betraying God, they blow it. God tells them that over the mountain in Jordan is the Promised Land, but the Israelites do not believe him. They do not trust him.

Since they do not trust God, they send in a few men to inspect the Promised Land. Obviously, if it was promised it will not be too shabby. God gets very upset at his people. He gives them the freedom and they do not trust him. Sometimes as we experience the hardships of life like the Israelites we lose our sense of trust too.
Only a few of the grown Israelites made it into Israel. The innocent children also make it.

When bad things happen to us, we lose our faith. I have a story. One of the days after my sister's bat mitzvah I asked God a favor. I asked him to keep all four of my grandparents healthy for my bar mitzvah three years later. At times things have been shaky, but God-willing they can all come in good health. What I do when I lose trust with God which does happen when I am upset, is simply say I am sorry. If we all just trusted everyone around us including God, we would feel better. If we all were honesty to everyone around us including God, we would trust each other more. Honesty and trust go hand in hand.

1 comment:

  1. Adam - once you have learned to trust fully you will let go of some of your fears as well. Yes people will disappoint you and blow that trust which is based on them being honest with you. However, not to have trust is always having to live in fear.

    As far as your wish for your bar mitzvah, it was a wonderful thought and it will come true.

    ReplyDelete