Friday, October 01, 2010

Genesis Bereshit Verses 1:1-6:8

I have now been a Jewish adult for one year. Last year, at this time, Bereshit was being uttered with myself on the Bima. We studied the seven days of creation, Adam and Eve, Cain and Abel, and the Tower of Babel. The story has not changed, but boy has my world.

From 13 to 14, I see the world. I see how God created a beautiful world. With light, so simple, the ocean and sky, the land, the sun and moon, fish and birds, animals and humans. Most of all God created this wonderful day named Shabbat. I think back to my summer on the Moshava. Every star lit the sky and all of God's wonders were present.

Everything God made contains an ineffable beauty. God made us in the Lord's divine image, but we screwed it up. Adam and Eve lived in the Garden of Eden. They were tempted by sin and could not resist. Humans fault is and has always been self-control. As I started my path of being a man, I got to see the situation. I learned that self-control is hard, but being banished from the garden is harder.

Back in the time of Adam and Eve, their kids were not the best of friends. Cain kills Abel out of jealousy. Not only have I matured, but my adulthood has restored my family values. My sister is my best friend and my parents are very closely tied for second. Also, through Torah I have learned the dangers of jealousy. I resist jealousy so that I never throw that stone.

As for the Tower of Babel, I believe I gained a new intelligence and teamwork this year. I started down my trilingual path to repair the Tower of Babel, but as I learn English, Hebrew, and Spanish I can not help but think why the Tower of Babel could be a punishment. From their mistake, I learned to take at least some responsibility. I take part in housework, so that we can understand each other and not come tumbling down.

Bereshit means creation. I knew that last year too. The difference is I now created my own world.

No comments:

Post a Comment