Friday, September 24, 2010

El Pez to El Pescado

Swimming. A nice day in the ocean. Admiring the pure beauty of which the giant sea provides. What a beautiful day! Everyone is here to swim with me. My aunts, my uncles,my grandparents, my many siblings, and my lovely parents . Being hungry, I decide to grab a quick snack. Suddenly,someone offers me a bite. We do not look like them, but that's ok. It's just a snack. What's this? I'm caught! My mouth is stuck to the treat.

I have no idea what is going on. Oh no, what is happening? Why can't I breath now? Aunts? Uncles? Grandparents? Siblings? Parents? I been abducted and I can not even yelp as I cling on to life. I have been dropped from my snack. I feel different, but that sharp thing is out of my mouth. "That's a relei....."

A fish tale, that has no happy ending.

No this is not usually how we get our white fish salad. Usually entire schools are taken away from the vast ocean at a time. Giant nets cast them up to a poisonous, dry world they have always looked up. These nets even catch dolphins and sharks that nobody would ever eat, but these larger marine animals meet the same fate. At the bottom of the net, there are shreiks that is the process of tearing up the beautiful corral reefs these fish once viewed everyday. All this pain and suffering for a can of tuna.

Vegetarian, you say? Do you eat fish?

No, I do not eat fish.

Why? They are Kosher.

If some alien took me from my home, my family, to space where I can not breath, just to have me for lunch. The horror that we do to these animals. I am no preacher for the vegetarians of the world, but just remember the beautiful day on the ocean next time you get the salmon a la mode at the fancy restaurant.

No comments:

Post a Comment