Thursday, September 23, 2010

Gimme' Shelter- Sukkot 2010

Happy Sukkot Everybody! Sukkot is the Jewish, fall harvest festival. We celebrate by bringing together the four species (a willow, a myrtle, palm, and an etrog)and eating in our sukkah. In Hebrew, Sukkot is the plural of sukkah. Sukkah translates to shelter. Sukkot celebrates the community coming together after the High Holy Days to observe the fall harvest. What qualifies as a sukkah?

Usually, a holiday sukkah is a flimsy, temporary hut covered in straw or other autumn crops. It is a mitzvah, not only to celebrating in the sukkah, but to build it too. This year, I took part in both mitzvot. Constructing the sukkah was great, the only better part of celebrating in it was spending the time with my sister. It was great how Jews from all over the area came in the mid-point of the week just to sit back, relax, and eat kugel.

What is a shelter to us? We most definitely do not think of the Sukkot sukkah as a home. Is it our house? Our property? Our town? Our state? Our country? Our world? Shelter is a necessity for life, but what is "home, sweet, home"?

Whether I like it or not, I live in suburbia.Houses tower over the streets. I love my house dearly. My room could even be considered my own shelter. Imagine my room like a mini, Yankee Stadium with bursts of Jewish flare!The hallways are spacious, and one room flows into the next. I love how everything from the kitchen to the bathrooms to the living room express my family's vast dynamics and values.

To quote a visitor to the property, "Is it like National Geographic out there?" As you come down the lengthy driveway, there is a little island of trees. Then, a vast elegant hill shows a great valley, my front yard. The tiny hill hugs the beautiful house just described. The outside looks like a typical contemporary house circa. 1984. My sister and I live in a triangle corridor making the house look like a piece of art. Going around to the deck, we uncover a huge, rock wall. Behind the wall is a wilderness. Every creature lives back there. I have seen vultures, snakes, squirrels, deer, foxes, and even once a sheep. These animals are almost provide dinner and show as we watch Sparky the Fox come out to play over pasta. Land is precious, and growing up on this property has shown me how.

Honestly, my town is not for me. Seeing the animals is lovely. The people are pleasant for the most part too. It is just that I believe I am New York bound. I should be heading on the Am-Trak straight out of this small New England town, but instead I am on the commuter train. This tiny town is still my shelter. I get a super education and the crime rate is low. All and all, growing up with excess boredom is a lot better than growing up in the wrong neighborhood.

Where am I from? Which state do I claim allegiance to the most? Massachusetts has been my house for more than half my life. Unfortunately, being a Yankee fan in the suburbs of Boston has driven me bonkers. I was born in Freehold, NJ.(Coincidentally, I write this on the Birthday of a fellow Freeholder. Do you know who is from Freehold and turns 61 on September 23,2010? Comment with your guess!) Even with all of this New Jersey and Massachusetts tension, add New York in the mix. To me it is the second Promised Land. When we exiled, God brought us to a New World. A world flowing in show tunes and apple trees.


As for the United States and the world, I believe they are a sukkah. We are on a planet teaming with life, but so ignorant to come together. God created this sukkah called the world. It is our commandment not only to celebrate and eat in it, but to build it. Tikkun Olam to us Jews. Rebuilding the World. Happy Sukkot!

No comments:

Post a Comment