Friday, May 15, 2009

Leviticus 25:1-27:34 Behar and Bechukotai

Another week of double trouble. Two portions one week! What I will do is interpret each parsha and then do both.


Behar- In this portion, God finishes his decree of laws. The people are just about in Israel when God says this phrase and I love it. It sums up Judaism.


" You shall not make idols for yourselves, nor shall you set up a statue or a monument for yourselves. And in your land you shall not place a pavement stone on which to prostrate yourselves, for I am the Lord, your God. You shall keep My Sabbaths and fear My Sanctuary. I am the Lord." (Leviticus 261-26:2)


This basically says the Sh'ma which is one of Judaism's most beloved prayers and that said you have one God. This says you can not have other gods. If there is one thing I can say about Judaism it is this. The principal of one God. We may have gotten into trouble (Story of Purim http://www.chabad.org/holidays/purim/article_cdo/aid/645995/jewish/The-Basic-Purim-Story.htm) Basically, we will not bow even to the highest king. A Jew's highest king is God. My follow up is "Why does God put the second commandment as we enter ancient Israel?"


Bechukotai- In this portion, God says the consequences of not following his laws. Throughout, Leviticus each law had its own consequence, but the overall laws have a group of consequences. Now, I do not follow every Jewish law, but as a good Jew I try to follow some. I have never killed, but also I have tried to ease my way into Kosher. Being Kosher are the Jewish food laws. I have given up shrimp because I don't like them. Even though I am on the tip of the iceberg, it feels fantastic to following a law.


I was reading the portion this week, and some consequences seemed familiar. Although, I know what they are I am not going to say them, but anyone can read the parsha here
http://www.chabad.org/parshah/torahreading.asp?AID=15585&p=complete
You can tell me the ways Jews have been punished that are in Leviticus parsha Bechukotai. Leviticus does not end like this though. It ends with these are the laws Moses was given on Mount Sinai. That is where the book of Numbers comes up.


Both-I think these go together because God gives you laws and then gives you the punishments. Cause and effect.

1 comment:

  1. I think we have to think of one more Kashrut law that we will both follow - one that is more of a sacrifice than Shrimp.

    ReplyDelete